Friday, May 27, 2005

No more kitchen knives?

If the clueless in the U.K. get their way the plan is to ban long kitchen knives. Apparently there has been a rash of stabbings with this type of knife. To make things better a group of chefs has determined that

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen. None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

Now as a semi-unfamous untrained chef (I just like to cook) I like using large knives when doing certain kinds of cooking. I've been known to get some of my handmade hunting knives and cook with them just to use them as I don't hunt.

I've never understood how banning anything was a solution. Crime is a social problem. Removal (or at least attempting to) of a inanimate object from society will not alter the criminal behavior.

Kim and Kevin dig deeper.

No comments: