- W is a force to be reckoned with tonight. This is like watching Jack Bauer deliver the SOTU address.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
- The wife wonders - whats the big yellow thing in the crowd?
- Aww - a kiss for Condi.
- 2nd standing O
- Nice Eulogy. Rest in peace Mrs. King. 3rd standing O
- Debate in civil tone. Nice dig.
- Strong and can get stronger
- Go get the bad guys - yea!
- Be a leader. Secure the peace. Best defense is an overwhelming offense
- 9/11 mention. The D's will harp on that
- Spread democracy around the world
- Oooh - Radical Islam. Perversion of faith. Fear is the only real weapon they have. Nice play on words with regard to the meek. 4th standing O
- No retreat, no surrender. 5th standing O. Rangel stays seated. What a loser.
- Evil Empire - kudos Ronnie!
- Their day will come
- Iraq. Layout the plan with freedom and self determination as the goal. Interesting that the D's aren't clapping except for Senator Lieberman
- Winning is the only option. 6th standing O. Well the R's and the military at least.
- Military decisions are made by the military - not the politicans. 7th standing O
- Nice dig at the defeatists. Can't cut and run. Stop living in the past. Our word must be gold. 8th standing O - both sides of the aisle
- Letter from a Marine. Tears in my eyes. Honor. Sacrifice. 9th standing O
- Military families.10th standing O
- Freedom from terrorists via Democratic reform. Accountable institutions. Hamas must recognize Israel and work for peace. 11th standing O
- Liberty s the right and hope of all humanity. Iran repressing it's people. Must end...
- No nukes in Iran. 12th standing O
- Citizens of Iran - we are your friends - free and Democratic Iran
- Compassion abroad. Stop the madness before it begins. Healthcare for those who need it. National security is at stake
- Support the pro's who keep us safe. 13th standing O
- Reauthorize the Patriot Act. 14th standing O
- Failed to connect the dots pre 9/11. Must pursue international communications between terrorists. Can't wait to be hit again. 15th standing O. Hillary rolling her eyes. Clueless
- Gotta get the bad guys. 16th standing O
- Lotsa new jobs. More than Japan and the EU combined. No new taxes. Immigrants bad? Not the legal ones... 17th standing O
- Grow the economy. Tax relief has put 800 Billion back into the their owners hands. Make the tax cuts permanent. Yes!!! 18th standing O
- Cutting spending. 140 programs on the block. On track to cut the defict in half by 2009
- Earmark reform - yes. Line item veto - yesssssss! 19th standing O
- Hillary can't even smile at a joke. Medicaid and SS reform. 60% of the budget soon. 20th standing O from the Democrats.
- Entitlements. 21st standing O
- End partisan politics to solve SS problems. 22nd standing O
- With open markets no one can beat us. 23rd standing O
- Imigration reform. Secure borders - yes. Start with Mexico. Big F'ing wall. Guest workers - not sure.
- Affordable health care. 24th standing O. Hell yes! Free for the poor and elderly. The wife wonders about the middle class or will we end up paying for all? Electronic records? Gotta be secure. Portable coverage. No OBs for women in 1500 countys. Medical liability reform. 25th standing O. No D's.
- Addicted to Oil. Foreign oil. Energy technology. 26th standing O. Hydrogen cells for cars - much better than hybrids. 27th standing O. Replace 75% of imported oil by 2025. Get away from a petroluem based economy. 28th standing O
- Must keep the education edge. Lead in math and and science. Energy research. Must innovate.
- Train teachers for AP instruction. Teach math and science - yes! 29th standing 0
- Great force for freedom and prosperity. Treat every one nicely. Crime down. Welfare down. Drug use down. Abortion down. Teen pregnancy down. It's all good. Revolution of conscince. Personal responsibility. 30th standing O
- People still worry. Never surrender. Prove the pessimists wrong. Over and over again.
- Roberts and Alito. 31st standing O. Judges must be servants of the law and not legislate from the bench. Happy trails Justice O'Connor
- Human life is a gift from God. 32nd standing O
- Trust. Ethics in Washington? hahahaha. Can't betray the public trust. 33rd standing O
- 34 standing O for Laura
- 85 Billion for the Gulf Coast. Treat the problems that existed beforehand. Must have hope and opportunity. 35 standing O
- Stop HIV/AIDS. 36th standing O. Work for the day of no new infections
- Will we turn back or finish well? Lead freedoms advance. 37th standing O
God bless you too Mr. President
Some thoughts - pretty good speech. The D's showed the usual lack of class save for a few. The pundits will be interesting.
Monday, January 30, 2006
So far I've removed all the wallpaper and started on removing any excess paste. then it's time for new lights, ceiling paint, and wallpaper. Only a few more weeks...
Oh - I really don't like wallpaper. I'm good at putting it up but I don't like it.
I'm enjoying this year. The story has already changed once. The President lack a spine (hmmm - think back a few years...) and now wants to act like a man. Can't wait for next week!
Friday, January 27, 2006
Since the wife was visiting her dad in the hospital Thing2 and I watched Sky High. I know it didn't get great reviews but it's a fun family friendly movie. Older kids and adults will figure out the plot but we both enjoyed the movie.
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
I'm a Chevrolet Corvette!
You're a classic - powerful, athletic, and competitive. You're all about winning the race and getting the job done. While you have a practical everyday side, you get wild when anyone pushes your pedal. You hate to lose, but you hardly ever do.
Fits me fairly well. It should be a Z06.
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
President Logan, well, in some ways he reminds me of a certain recent Democratic president. No real spine. He should, like all smart husbands, learn to listen to his wife. I get the feeling that he won't survive the year.
On to the gun handling: The CTU folks are pretty solid in this respect but the "professional" hitman had his finger on the trigger of his Glock after assembly and while racking the slide. How stupid can you be?
Body count: The folks over at Blogs for Bauer have been tracking this. Why? It's part of the show. How many bad guys can Jack send on their way each hour? Well good guys die as well. This week only 2 died. I guessed right this week. I'm sure the winnings are in the mail. :-)
Monday, January 23, 2006
LGF has a thread open.
The DC Freepers and Protest Warriors rule! Be sure to check the top right pic on the Protest Warrior web site.
Thing1 and I built new computers last year. Nothing fancy - Athlon 64 3000+ with a gigabyte of RAM. Thing1 built his for games where mine was meant for video work. I've been taking my 8mm and miniDV tapes and making DVDs out of them. Generating that DVD takes an hour or so. 8 hours would be a challenge.
Started by recording 24 to one of my PCs using a Hauppauge PVR250 card in near DVD quality. Edit the resulting MPEG using Adobe Premiere Elements to remove the commericals and write a DVD quality MPEG. That takes about 45 minutes but it doesn't chew up the machine. Repeat for all 4 episodes broadcast this year.
Now fire up Premiere Elements again and add all four episodes as video sources. Mark each element with a scene tag and then create a DVD menu. Now set Premiere to create a 8.5GB DVD image on disk. Adjust quality as necessary. Hit the start button and let it go. Within a few minutes CPU was at 100% utilized and the 1GB of RAM that the machine has was completely used.
When I went to bed 5 hours later the progress bar was at 65%. According to the file modification times writing the DVD image took 8.5 hours. Busy, busy, busy.
Now to buy some dual layer media.
Sunday, January 22, 2006
Friday, January 20, 2006
- Asked about rumors that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck may be remaking "Butch Cassidy," Redford said he finds that "depressing."
"There is no shortage of good, original ideas, and there's just no point to remakes. Why do they have to mess with things that were perfect the first time around?" he said with a groan.
Remake Butch Cassidy? Please noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Thursday, January 19, 2006
I wonder if I could tag along as a "responsible adult"? Me? hahaha
For those of you who, like me, enjoy looking at the stars but want to see whats out there without leaving your computer I highly recommend the Sloan Digital Sky Survey Skyserver site. In particular the Famous Places link. I know a few of the people involved in this project and they are producing some amazing images.
Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Thing1 pointed out to me today that John Singleton has signed on to do Without Remorse. Great director. Boyz n the Hood is one of those movies that you need to see.
Now we just need Clark. And no Ben Affleck.
Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Thing1 sent me a link to some UK researchers who have discovered that:
- "We propose that despite the fact that meetings may help to achieve work-related goals, having too many meetings and spending too much time in meetings per day may have negative effects on the individual."
Go and read the whole thing.
If you have to have a meeting make it early in the day and keep it moving. Don't waste time.
Monday, January 16, 2006
Only 9 1/2 hours till part 3.
I'm truly glad I wasn't watching on WACH-TV.
From The State.Com
- Columbia’s FOX affiliate, cut away from the last 10 minutes of the blockbuster show to start its 10 p.m. newscast — leaving fans in the Midlands hanging.
'24' gets cut off in last 10 minutes
TV fans hit the roof when local newscast begins before show ends
By ADAM BEAM
Midlands fans of the FOX show "24" are used to cliffhangers - but nothing like what happened during the fifth-season premiere Sunday night....
Saturday, January 14, 2006
Friday, January 13, 2006
- ..the V8 small block engine could be the best engine ever built, I believe its ok to kill a mosquito with a sledge hammer, I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter...
This Marine is awesome! And so right. Go and read the rest.
I should clarify that almost every Marine I've ever met is an exceptional person. Whether it's just the caliber of person that the Marines accept or what becoming a Marine does to you - well I don't know. I just know that they are good people.
Thursday, January 12, 2006
- While interviewing an anonymous US Special Forces soldier, a Reuters
News agent asked the soldier what he felt when sniping members of Al
Qaeda in Afghanistan. The soldier shrugged and replied, "Recoil."
Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Enter the number off my library card and then my PIN for the library and it's on hold for me. Very cool!
One of my coworkers pointed out that, on the day that Apple announced the x86 based Mac's, Apple stock (NASDAQ:APPL) closed at 80.86.
It must be a sign.
If Apple really wants to make personal computing interesting then OS/X needs to be available for retail purchase for installation on non-Apple hardware. 64 bit please.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006
- ...I want you to know also that I am very good at what I do. I can put a 2,000 lb weapon through a window from 10,000 feet up. I generally only fly at night, so you may want to start sleeping during the day. I am not eager to die for my country but I am willing to sacrifice my life to protect it from animals like you....
GM Roper has the rest. Worth the read.
Sunday, January 08, 2006
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
- January 4, 2006 -- Tinseltown teen queen Lindsay Lohan has finally 'fessed up to doing drugs — and becoming so bulimic that she couldn't stand the sight of her own skeletal figure.
Thing2 is 14 and, like most teen girls, has image issues. Seeing these skeletal figures in the magazine doesn't help me as a parent convince her that every girl is different. When I bring up (what I think is) the fact that these girls starve themselves she tells me they just gave up junk food. Maybe this will help her understand where I'm coming from.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006
The SANS ISC has been doing a great job in covering this event. Up to date reports, 'unofficial' patch testing, and even the discussion of a oxymoron.
Nice thing about this - Mozilla Thunderbird/Firefox users get prompted to open files that may have a ulterior motive...
Did I miss anything? Doesn't look like it. The usual micromanagement is still here, "leaders" changing server configs, assigning projects on special purpose servers without notifying the server admins, etc. Oh well - it's another year. Time to make the best of it.
Monday, January 02, 2006
After the throw the announcer asked her to wait as someone wanted to talk to her. A Army Lt. who had just came back from Iraq came out and gave her a hug. After a few tears he got down on one knee and proposed. She said yes.
The nice folks over at Powerline have a different view of Mike Tice. One you should read.