Monday, July 09, 2007

A Tale of Two Movies

I took the kids to see Transformers on the 4th of July. Thing1 was a huge fan growing up (well - he still is) and I used to watch the cartoons with him once in a while. As for the movie - it rocks. Great Michael Bay action, a decent story, and some excellent humor. The movie is rated PG-13 and it deserves it. This is not a movie for little kids but for 10/11 and up it's a blast.

Thing1 and I went to Live Free and Die Hard on Saturday. I was soooo looking forward to this movie. John McClane was a great character in the first three movies. For Live Free the producers went for a PG-13 rating ... and it ruined the movie. No more smoking, no more shoot first and ask questions later, no swearing, McClane was neutered and it showed. The plot had promise, good actor selection (Maggie Q and Mary Elizabeth Winstead were perfect), and some of the toys were great. Not so great was the sloppy editing. It made the movie hard to watch. I'm hoping for a unrated DVD release.

Transformers - 3.5 stars (out of 4)
Live Free or Die Hard - 2 stars

Funny thing happened at Transformers. We got to the movie early (3rd in line) and after we sat down (2nd row center of the main section) my boss walked by with one of his kids. As if I didn't see him enough during the week he had to follow me to the movies...

No comments: