Monday, July 16, 2007

Day at the Races - Part 2

As I said before - Thing1 and I were there for racing. And looking at race cars. Thing1 found a truck he'd like to drive home.



Whereas my chosen form of transportation was just a bit faster.



After wandering the booths for a while and checking in with the wife and her sister who had staked our front row for the Montgomery Gentry show we went in to watch practice and the time trials. We are Tony Stewart fans so I did my best to get a picture of him flying by at 180+. Took ~15 trys to get a full frame picture.



After the time trials there was a USAC midget race scheduled. According to the track announcer the MG concert was to start after the race was over so Thing1 and I settled in to watch the race. About 10 laps in my phone rang. It was the wife trying (talking on a cell phone while cars fly by at 175 is difficult...) to tell me that the opening band was done and that I should get down there. Thing1 stayed to watch the race while I shoved my way up to the front where they were.

Time to step back a few hours: the wife and her sister met a couple of guys from Iowa named Randy and Travis that were there to watch the races. Neither had seen MG before so they asked my wife how they could sit that close as they wanted to go inside. Well my wife simply said "It'll cost you". One of them reached for their wallet and said how much? My wife just smiled and said "Beverages. Beer or water every hour or so" And so the wife and her sister drank for free all day. Randy/Travis brought them beer every hour and they joined us up front with their friend Doug. Nice group of guys. I hope our paths cross again some day.

And then it was time for show. I'm am not a huge fan of country music but the boys put on a pretty good show.








This is Eddie Montgomery with a flag my wife gave him. She was hoping to get it back but it didn't happen.





I stopped taking pictures around the time of the encore. People were pushing their way up so the guys formed a wall around the women to keep the crowd back. It was pretty wild there for a while. I was sure that a big fight was about to break out as some people would not take no for an answer.

In the end we survived. A fun but very tiring day.

No comments: