Sunday, February 05, 2006

A time to spar

Thing2 had a sparring seminar on Saturday. Since it was a bit of a drive I decided to stay and watch. The morning was spent working the kids pretty hard with stretching and then starting on sparing techniques. After 2 hours the kids were looking pretty tired. A quick break for lunch and they were back at it. They spent another hour and a half just working on technique. Finally it was time to spar.

The rules were simple - light contact, waist to shoulders, and sides. Everything else was off limits. It was strictly for scoring points.

Thing2 started ok. I walked away for awhile as she was starting to look at me rather than her opponent. When I came back she was sitting out. I didn't want to get involved as I didn't see what happened. Thing2's Sensi went over to her and the instructor and then came to me to let me know what happened. After sparring started, well, Thing2 started hitting a bit hard. Way too hard. The instructor reminded her of the rules. She started hitting too hard again. He talked to her again and she argued. Well she was sat down. Thats when I came back in.

My little girl was hitting too hard? Who'd thunk?

In retrospect it was probably my fault. I had bought a 35lb bag for Thing2 to practice on. We'd been working on hitting the bag and getting back to the ready position. Great practice for her. I'd been having her hit for impact. She apparently likes to make an impact. We need to talk about this...

No comments: