Monday, November 22, 2004

Go Get Em Marines

My dad was a Marine. He was training for the invasion of Japan. I don't know if he ever saw combat as he never wanted to talk about it. He was pretty adamant that none of his boys went into the Marines. There are a number of times since then that I wished I had ignored him on this - as I had on so many other things. I've always felt like I missed something.

Since then whenever possible I always say Thanks when I run into a active duty or retired soldiers and Marines. These men and women took time out of their lives to put their asses on the line for me. It's the least I can do.

So when the story about the Marine shooting the 'dead' insurgent/terrorist in Fallujah broke I wondered when the local clueless liberal (CL) would start whining about how evil the Marine was. Personally I felt he did the right thing. Well the CL was right on time.

I sent him a polite note:


    Burt,

    You have a slight flaw in your argument. You write

    "While a pledge to adhere to military codes and the Geneva Convention sounds noble, some argue that it is not realistic when fighting such a brutal war against such barbarians."

    The Geneva convention applies to uniformed combatants of a organized army. The dead terrorist is 0 for 2. Your legal resources should have told you that. General Tommy Franks discusses this in "American Soldier" when the Special Forces went into Afghanistan and went 'native' to blend in.

    On a semi-related note: Not far from where the Marine did the right thing one of his fellow Marines was killed and several others injured when the 'dead' terrorist decided to blow himself up. This Marine did the right thing. The camera operator did the wrong thing by making the tape public. He should have turned it over to JAG for a proper investigation rather than giving Al-Jazera more propaganda footage.

    al


Shockingly I get a response a couple of days later.


    Dear Al,

    Thanks for your response. I appreciate you reading the column and taking time to respond in a polite manner.

    I understand your argument, and asked my sources about it. "It was not the military JAGs who thought up the Geneva exceptions for terror suspects in Guantanamo and elsewhere _ it was the civilians. The JAGs were horrified," one responded.

    These men have far more military sources than I (and, I'm assuming you), and they say very few military people condone any sort of deviation from the Geneva Convention and the military code. That is not the way the U.S. should fight a war, they say. I agree. A Navy admiral in the Pentagon who read my column also agrees.

    While the Marine in question might never be charged with a crime, I am troubled by your assertion that he "did the right thing." How do you know this? Or are you just echoing the anti-American "kill no matter what" philophy embraced by our enemy?

    I have a much higher opinion of our fighting men and women than that. Also, I think soldiers who fight by the rules have an easier time returning home and readjusting to civilian lives.


It seems strange that someone who in previous columns has done nothing but trash the military he claims to have a 'high opinion of them'. So I sent him a response.


    They probably have more official sources than I do. Most of what I learn about what is going on in Iraq comes from the blogs of the men who are there.

    It's really quite simple. You may even agree after reading this. From a letter from a Marine in Iraq posted at PowerLine

    "This is one story of many that people normally don't hear, and one that everyone does.

    This is one most don't hear:
    A young Marine and his cover man cautiously enter a room just recently filled with insurgents armed with Ak-47's and RPG's. There are three dead, another wailing in pain. The insurgent can be heard saying, "Mister, mister! Diktoor, diktoor(doctor)!" He is badly wounded, lying in a pool of his own blood. The Marine and his cover man slowly walk toward the injured man, scanning to make sure no enemies come from behind. In a split second, the pressure in the room greatly exceeds that of the outside, and the concussion seems to be felt before the blast is heard. Marines outside rush to the room, and look in horror as the dust gradually settles. The result is a room filled with the barely recognizable remains of the deceased, caused by an insurgent setting off several pounds of explosives.

    The Marines' remains are gathered by teary eyed comrades, brothers in arms, and shipped home in a box. The families can only mourn over a casket and a picture of their loved one, a life cut short by someone who hid behind a white flag.

    But no one hears these stories, except those who have lived to carry remains of a friend, and the families who loved the dead. No one hears this, so no one cares.

    This is the story everyone hears:

    A young Marine and his fire team cautiously enter a room just recently filled with insurgents armed with AK-47's and RPG's. There are three dead, another wailing in pain. The insugent can be heard saying, "Mister, mister! Diktoor, diktoor(doctor)!" He is badly wounded. Suddenly, he pulls from under his bloody clothes a grenade, without the pin. The explosion rocks the room, killing one Marine, wounding the others. The young Marine catches shrapnel in the face. The next day, same Marine, same type of situation, a different story. The young Marine and his cover man enter a room with two wounded insurgents. One lies on the floor in puddle of blood, another against the wall. A reporter and his camera survey the wreckage inside, and in the background can be heard the voice of a Marine, "He's moving, he's moving!"

    The pop of a rifle is heard, and the insurgent against the wall is now dead. Minutes, hours later, the scene is aired on national television, and the Marine is being held for commiting a war crime. Unlawful killing."

    --End extract --

    In my opinion this Marine may have saved his life as well as the lives of his team. If you have watched the uneditied video (I have) you would notice that the only one shot was the one faking being dead. The visibly wounded were left alone.

    I think that soldiers and Marines returning from active duty will have an easier time readjusting to civilian life if it weren't for the fact the only stories the main stream media carries about Iraq show them in a less than positive light.

    As far as the rules the Rules of Engagement for clearing a room of non-uniformed combantants are much different than when fighting a regular army. (See Froggy below)

    I think if you spent some time read the blogs of those who have been shot at you might have a change of heart. A few to read

    http://www.blackfive.net/
    http://froggyruminations.blogspot.com/
    http://www.paratrooper.us/
    http://soldierlife.blogspot.com/

    Most of these guys link to other milblogs. I suggest spending a evening reading them.


No response.
Hmmm.

I've never been in a life threatening situation before. Never had to point one of my guns at another human (came close once) but I'd like to think that I'd do the same as this Marine did. In my opinion he saved not only his life but several of his fellow Marines.

They guys are my heros.

Semper Gratus (Always Grateful)

No comments: