Friday, November 03, 2006

My Surefire story

Nothing exciting. I didn't save any lives or take down a mugger. Nothing like that.

It's Friday night so I took Thing2 to karate. She does better if I stay so I set up a chair in the corner of the gym and opened up The Blog of War (excellent read by the way). About half way through the class the lights blinked. And then they went off. The emergency lights came on. The first one went off about a minute later. The second lasted another couple of minutes.

I had a Surefire E2E with a KL1 LED head on it in my sweatshirt pocket. Brought it out, turned it one, and pointed it at the ceiling. It provided enough light for class to continue. Used it as a spotlight a couple of times to allow the instructors to show the move that they were teaching that night but for the most part I reflected light off the ceiling and class was able to continue. One of the instructors had a LED flashlight from one of the discount chains. Decent light level ... from 5 LEDs. Not a bad light but it felt cheap in the hand.

20 minutes later class was over. The E2E was a bit warm but the light level never really changed. Thing2 came up and told me she was glad that I don't leave home without a Surefire in my pocket.

Maybe it's time for her to have one...

No comments: