Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans Day

My dad was a Marine. He entered the Corp in 1944. He never would talk about what he saw or did. As I approached 18 he made it clear that he didn't want me to go into the Marines. For some reason I listened to him - something that was unusual at that time in my life. Instead I made plans to join the Air Force after high school. I had 2 brothers and a sister who were already in so it seemed like a good idea. For various reasons I ended up not joining. I've regretted that decision alot over the last 25+ years.

At the time the wife and I got married I worked for a hospital doing electronic maintenance. The department I worked in was run by a retired Air Force Colonel. Like most hospitals we were open on Veterans day and it wasn't a paid holiday. Except for the veterans in our department. They got the day off with pay courtesy of the Colonel. The rest of us just had to work a little harder that day. Mike Royko has it right. Veterans Day should be a day off for veterans. No one else. We didn't earn it.

So - to all the veterans out there.

Thank you

Without you, your sacrifice, your courage, and your bravery, the world would not be the same.

Gus has a few words as well

No comments: