I start with a mpeg file of 24. This is recorded with Beyond TV and a Hauppauge PVR 500 TV tuner and is about 2GB in size. I take the mpeg and drop it into Adobe Premiere Elements. After letting the file get indexed I add it to the time line and it looks something like this.
After spending a few minutes removing the commercials I have this. I've removed 20 - 22 minutes from the show.
Now comes a boring part. I have to export the file as a MPEG in 480x480 resolution. On my PC (Athlon 64 3000 o.c.'d about 25%) this takes about 45 minutes. At this point the file is about 850MB.
When that is done I let Videora convert the file into one compatible with the iPod. This kills another 30 minutes and takes the file down to ~260MB.
Once that is done I add the file to iTunes and sync to my iPod.
Minor note to self - If you have the Cygwin bash shell open Videora won't work. It sees the cygwin1.dll in memory and exits quietly. Turn on the debug option if this happens to you.