Wednesday, January 31, 2007

24 on my iPod

I start with a mpeg file of 24. This is recorded with Beyond TV and a Hauppauge PVR 500 TV tuner and is about 2GB in size. I take the mpeg and drop it into Adobe Premiere Elements. After letting the file get indexed I add it to the time line and it looks something like this.



After spending a few minutes removing the commercials I have this. I've removed 20 - 22 minutes from the show.



Now comes a boring part. I have to export the file as a MPEG in 480x480 resolution. On my PC (Athlon 64 3000 o.c.'d about 25%) this takes about 45 minutes. At this point the file is about 850MB.

When that is done I let Videora convert the file into one compatible with the iPod. This kills another 30 minutes and takes the file down to ~260MB.



Once that is done I add the file to iTunes and sync to my iPod.



And play.



Minor note to self - If you have the Cygwin bash shell open Videora won't work. It sees the cygwin1.dll in memory and exits quietly. Turn on the debug option if this happens to you.

No comments: