Thursday, August 24, 2006

Vista and Cygwin

I'm a huge fan of the Cygwin *nix environment for Windows. I've been using it at home for a couple of years with Windows XP. With my new system at work I skipped installing our standard X server Reflection and decided to use the Cygwin X server. The main reason for this was that Reflection insisted that my dual monitor setup was backwards. I prefer monitor #1 to the right and #2 to the left. Reflection wants monitor #1 to the left and complains every time and doesn't want to work right. Cygwin just works. My way. I like that.

 

So I have Vista Beta 2 running on a spare beater laptop. It's ok and for a slow machine it works ok. A faster machine would make it more usable. So today during class (Windows Security Event Log Secrets) I decided to download the latest Cygwin installer to the Vista box and install it. 99% of the install went just fine. The post-install scripts fail. Doing a bit of searching on the web and this is a known bug. Something changed in Vista to break Cygwin.

Nice move Microsoft.

No comments: