Tuesday, April 11, 2006

American Idol sings Queen

I've never watched American Idol. Just not my kind of show. With all the promo about the current singers performing the songs of Queen. Queen. Fabulous Freddie Mercury.

The wife and I were lucky enough to see Queen live twice. Once from the rafters of the Rosemont Horizon (now the Allstate Arena) and once from the 20th row at the former Popular Creek Music Theatre. Queen was one of those bands the just brought it every time they performed. Freddie Mercury set a pretty high standard. Will anyone come close?

Bucky sang "Fat Bottomed Girls". One of my all time favorite Queen songs. Missed it so I'll have to listen to the mp3. Ok - the review wasn't bad. Still need to listen to the whole song.
Ace destroyed "We Will Rock You". 'nuff said.
Kellie - "Bohemian Rhapsody". Some didn't like it. I thought she nailed it. Right down to the prancing.
Chris - "Innuendo". Didn't do anything for me.
Katharine - "Who Wants to Live Forever". Nice singing but nothing special.
Elliot - "Somebody to Love". Great singing but it wasn't Queen.
Taylor - "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". Decent signing but a terrible performance. Simon's comments nailed it.
Paris - "The Show Must Go On". Awesome voice. Not a Queen performance but very good.

I know I'm being a bit mean comparing these people to Freddie Mercury but you can't sing his songs and not expect it. Kellie was the only one that brought some memories back. She rocked.

Time to watch the Queen Live DVD and push this stuff from my brain.

No comments: