Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Movies and Kids

I like action movies. You know the kind where stuff gets blown up. These movies can be violent, bloody, and full of adult language. The wife isn't much of a fan of them (anymore) but Thing1 is. We've been going to see them together since I felt he was old enough - that was around age 14 or so depending on content.

Once thing that has bothered both of us was the number of kids that were at these movies. By kids I mean those aged 4, 5, or even younger. I'm not sure when we first noticed it but I think it was at We Were Soldiers. There were several very young kids there - with dad. This was a bloody movie and totally inappropriate for kids. I've seen it several times since then as has Thing1. I used to think we were the only ones bothered by this till Thing1 brought this to my attention.

While it's good to see other parents getting upset I have to wonder whats going through the mind(s) of the parents who allow their kids to see these movies? Even now with Thing2, at age 14, I still see any questionable movies before I allow her to. If I don't think it's appropriate she doesn't see it. The only real time we've had a issue was with Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ. While I think ever Christian should see this movie I felt at that time (2004) that she wasn't ready for it. I'm still not sure. We may watch it together before Easter. At least at home I can skip a few of the parts that she shouldn't see.

As for those who take little kids to R rated movies - please stop. Hire a baby sitter. Wait for the DVD release. Just don't take the little ones along where they don't belong.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

My wife and I went to see King Kong. PG13, right?

But it's marketed to little kids - toys, happy meals, etc.

The theater was FULL of wee ones.

At that age, some of those images would have had me in nightmares. Some parents are just STUPID.