Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Back to school

Not me - my 13 year old daughter known to the world as thing2. (thing1 is off to college this year) Thing2 is attending the same junior high that my wife, thing1, and I did. Pretty spooky. On one hand it was nice to see the school. It had been gutted, asbestos removed and rebuilt. It is very nice inside. We walked thing2 through her schedule and, while she seemed a little confused, thing2 was ready to go. The strange thing was that both the wife and I rememberd where our lockers were. And we went there a long time ago. Thing1 and I were looking at pictures of the staff and one of the gym teachers was one of my classmates way back when...

The wife kept noticing boys looking at thing2. While she is an attractive young lady it was rather disconcerting. Time for a new gun. Or sword. Maybe both...

Thing1 heads off to college in just a few days. We are now officially broke. Don't make enough money to just write a check and make too much to get any real financial aide. It'll be tight for a few years but I just recall a bumper sticker that thing1 and I saw at the local gun store - "If you think education is expensive - try ignorance" Thing1 wants to be a elementary school teacher. And I think he'll be a great one. If nothing else a God loving, gun owning, conservative punk teacher might just shake up the teachers lounge a bit.

No comments: