Saturday, February 19, 2005

Lets be safe out there

I do some work with Computer Security for my employer. I help system admins build safe systems and then help to troubleshoot systems should something bad happen. So I was kind of amused when I read Kevin McCullough's blog, who while blogging from CPAC, talks about Wall Street Journal reporter John Fund going onto bloggers row and using (apparently without permission) the computers of two different bloggers to file stories.

A couple of thoughts here:

  • I find it to be inexcusable to use someone elses tools without permission. One would think that the WSJ would have the necessary funds to provide Mr. Fund with his own laptop or that Mr. Fund would have the manners to ask permission.

  • The bloggers really should have locked their computers when they left them. Trust no one (Cue X-Files theme song)

  • I don't think I would have been as polite as those whose computers were being 'borrowed' when dealing with Mr. Fund. It would have been difficult for me to keep from physically removing this person from my computer. Had I not been there the hacker in me would have been very tempted to have some fun with his email afterwards.


Nice Bloggers.

No comments: