Wednesday, December 28, 2005

High School Hoops

My nephew plays basketball for Hoffman Estates High School. Even though he's only a sophmore he's been playing varsity this year. His team was playing in the annual Elgin High Christmas Tournament so we went and watched his team play a couple of times. They made it to the tournament championship game against the Batavia Bulldogs. From the begining I knew it was going to be a long game. Hoffman was down 16 points at the end of the first quarter. They kept getting trapped in the back court and never got much of a inside game going. They made a game of it a few times but never got the lead under 6. Ended up losing the game and taking second place in the tournament.

Elgin High School, where I graduated from over 25 years ago, is the host of the tourney. I hadn't been there in over 8 years. I hadn't been in the gym since graduation. It seemed so much bigger then...

We sat, unplanned, in the middle of a lot of Batavia fans with my sister. It was a blast being the lone voice cheering for Hoffman. I kept getting dirty looks from the Batavia fans. Even got a few of them complaining about me as I yelled at the lack of calls by the refs or when I congratulated a Batavia player for missing a shot or a pass. All in good fun of course. No foul language or anything like that. I can't say the same for some of the Batavia fans... I guess some people just don't understand it's only a game.

No comments: