Monday, March 06, 2006

The Day After

The Oscars.

After watching Walk the Line (excellent movie - highly recommended) the wife wanted to watch the Academy awards. We'd already been treated to George Clooney's explanation as to why Hollyweird is so much better and more enlightened that the rest of us during a ice cream break that I wasn't expecting much. I was right but not in the way I expected. No political jokes from Jon (I'm really not this boring) Stewart, no political speeches from the award recipients. Just lots of thank you's to the right people. Very strange.

Ann Althouse's view of the Oscars was most interesting as she picked up on a number of things I didn't. It's a good view for people like me that didn't watch and let her suffer through. Be sure to read her morning after thoughts as well.

Did I like any of it? Sure - Jennifer Garner. Salma Hayek. Reese Witherspoon. Rachel Weisz. All looked beautiful. Alot of the other female stars looked like they hadn't eaten in a few weeks. Not sure what Hollyweird sees in skin and bones. Lots of pictures available at Yahoo.

As for awards - I havn't seen any of the nominated movies so I can't comment on them. I have Crash in my netflix queue so we'll see. The other movies - no real desire to see any of them. Best actor - I shocked that Joaquin Phoenix didn't win. Not surprised but shocked. He gets into character with such depth that he's just amazing. Maybe if Johnny Cash had been gay??? Best actress - Reese. She was impressive. Her range from movies like Legally Blonde to Walk the Line shows a lot of promise for her career. The rest - didn't see them.

I'm bummed I missed the penguins!

No comments: